Saturday, August 9, 2008

Brantome

Yesterday, we had another excursion. This time we went to see some friends up in the Angouleme area. Along the way we stopped in Brantome which is known as the Venice of France since the city is built on an island in the middle of a river. Of course the whole thing was another two hour drive but we managed to survive. When we got to Brantome, it was market day and they were set up along the main street which is already pretty narrow. We got there just as some of the marketeers were packing up so to add to the congestion, there were trucks parked also. We managed to get stuck for a while because the traffic in both directions couldn't get past each other until we jockeyed a few cars around. The truck driver was real obnoxious and everyone let him know about it. But we finally made it and Brantome is a pretty town.

One of the ancient gates to the city is behind me. There used to be two but the other one is long gone. A lot of rock quarrying was done around this town which left a lot of excavated caves. No problem, they just added fronts to them and built houses and stores right in the caves along the street. You can see one of the to my left (right side of the picture.)

Me with a local street musician playing the accordion. One thing I've noticed over the years is that the French look less and less like French people. The world is just becoming one big blend. This guy, however, still retains a French/European look. He played some pretty snappy music with his squeeze box.

Another view of the stores built into the side of the rocks which have been excavated.

Looking across the river into the island city.

Sitting by the river eating lunch. French bread, ham, cheese... mmmmm

Brantome seen from above

More about

Brantôme



After Brantome, we headed on up the road towards Angouleme. We went to visit the parents of Daniele's best friend when she was growing up, the Demolombes. Unfortunately the father was not there because he had gone into the hospital earlier for some heart arrhythmias. We were fortunate enough, however to have their oldest daughter, Marie-France, there who was visiting from Tahiti where she lives. This was a great visit because this is truly one of the families in France that I love. They were really kind to me when I was a missionary some 34 years ago. The Angouleme area was where I really felt at home after having been over here for a year and a half.

Daniele, Marie-France and Jacqueline

The gang (except for me who is taking the picture) out for a stroll through the neighborhood. (l-r: Robert, Jeannine, Jacqueline, Bernadette, Denis the son of the Demolombe's son, Marie-France, and Daniele)

The time was too short there. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Angouleme and the good people that I know there. The train always passes through there on our way to Daniele's family and I'm always glued to the window of the train, as we go through, wishing I had time to get off and just wander for a while. Of course, this is where I also met my future wife so it is a double special place for me.

More about

Angoulême


2 comments:

kiwi moss said...

luv it!
your post are always fun, but have info in them which is also fun!

keep it going!

Nick said...

I wish I was as good of a commenter as Kellie

Where Have I Been